Notify of
Most Voted
Newest Oldest
Inline Feedbacks
AC Harper
AC Harper
7 months ago

“Should we feel any sympathy for New Labour’s First Lady?”
Nope. The sub heading (which may not have been the author’s) reveals a modern mindset which assumes people are bundled along by their unreflective choices and therefore victims worthy of sympathy.
Older generations are fonder of older sayings, like “You’ve made your bed, now lie in it.”

polidori redux
polidori redux
7 months ago

I notice a tendency for main stream columnists to resort to Unherd. I presume that this is because their own organs are failing. As I am not willing to subscribe to the newspapers that they work for, why do they presume that I will pay to read them here? Perhaps “Unherd” should be renamed “Itsmeagain”

Last edited 7 months ago by polidori redux
J Bryant
J Bryant
Reply to  polidori redux

Unherd has changed for the worse. Its edge is disappearing and it increasingly looks like yet another mainstream journal of pop culture. So sad. I used to be its number one fan.

Stuart
Stuart
Reply to  J Bryant

I was thinking that myself! I think I prefer the online “Spiked” as it has the edge.

Drahcir Nevarc
Drahcir Nevarc
Reply to  polidori redux

I don’t know about Joan Smith, but some of them seem to be refugees from wokified legacy media.

polidori redux
polidori redux
Reply to  Drahcir Nevarc

Indeed.
If Suzanne Moore had abandoned The Guardian before her colleagues turned on her, I wouldn’t regard her with such scorn.

Michael James
Michael James
7 months ago

What’s this piece of bitchy gossip doing on UnHerd?

Allison Barrows
Allison Barrows
7 months ago

Another mean girl piece. And these writers have the gall to squeeze in “misogyny” every single time.

James Elvidge
James Elvidge
7 months ago

No wonder CBQC gave the impression that she was uncomfortable fraternising with the media class when confronted with such snobbery that drips from this article. ‘Wincing’ being asked to go and speak to a local charity – how uncouth!

Jean Nutley
Jean Nutley
7 months ago

Have I woken up in 1997? How is this relevant now? At risk of being called churlish for pointing it out, the First Lady of this country is Her Majesty the Queen, no matter how differently New Labour or anyone else desire it to be otherwise.

Keith J
Keith J
7 months ago

Excusing someone’s poor decisions or behaviour because of the class they were born into is just condescending.

Lotus Eatet
Lotus Eatet
7 months ago

Rather worrying that a woman of such repeated poor judgement is a QC and sits in judgement upon others.

Nicholas Rynn
Nicholas Rynn
7 months ago

Gosh somebody got a hatchet for their Birthday.

Lloyd Evans
Lloyd Evans
7 months ago

‘Cherie Blair QC’, as suggested by Downing St, was rejected by Cherie who pointed out that she used her maiden name in her legal career and that no barrister named ‘Cherie Blair’ was licensed to practise at the Bar. She won that one. And when Alistair Campbell ordered her to repay shops for dresses she’d bought at a discount she sent him packing. ‘Show me the law that says I must.’ No answer to that.

Don Holden
Don Holden
7 months ago

I find it exceedingly hard to summon up any sympathy for a person who chose the legal profession as a career, it seems to be first choice of self-obsessed, entitled charlatans and hasn’t she done well at it !

polidori redux
polidori redux
Reply to  Don Holden

She married another charlatan.
You have to admit that she knew her strengths

UnHerd Reader
UnHerd Reader
7 months ago

‘The Mirror reported that Booth helped herself to 68 items, enough to fill five boxes, and left staff at the Melbourne store open-mouthed’
I wonder if there isn’t another side to this story – maybe the owner of the shop kept encouraging her to take more or something. Maybe it’s true but it seems an odd thing to do by someone so much in the public eye st the time

G H
G H
7 months ago

This sort of article is not why I subscribe to Unherd.

Last edited 7 months ago by G H
Christopher Barclay
Christopher Barclay
7 months ago

No mention of how Cherie Booth became Cherie Blair in the US, when she went to cash in their cheque for selling out British foreign policy.

Benedict Waterson
Benedict Waterson
7 months ago

fascinating stuff. The author’s fierce ‘radical feminism’ shines through as she makes a few pointlessly catty remarks about former PM’s wife. That’s one problem with ‘radical feminism’ I suppose – it distracts from the extent that women are demeaned by intra-sex conflict/ competition/ jealousy, rather than by men

Geoff Coles
Geoff Coles
6 months ago

Booth is classless, simply off the scale!

Nicky Samengo-Turner
Nicky Samengo-Turner
6 months ago

Kentucky Fried Chicken have a new dish… no breast, huge thighs and two left wings… its called a Cherie….